Friday, November 10, 2006

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...

The good news today is that I figured out my linking problems on my new Mac and can offer exciting links to burning issues of great importance such as this and this. Keyboard shortcuts - who knew??? (My husband, fortunately. Thanks honey!)

The bad news is that I'm reading a memoir right now, and here in the middle of chapter two, I LOATHE it. Generally, I adore memoirs; even if someone is annoying or atrocious they're at least interesting enough to keep me turning the pages. I LOVED Devil In The Details, and Everything I'm Cracked Up To Be. I even liked Leaving The Saints because it is brilliantly written and fascinating, in a car-crash kind of way (although I'll go out on a limb and say that if this woman is making a million-dollar living as America's Life Coach after purposely blowing up all the connecting bridges to her own family, we Americans need to raise our hiring standards a bit).

Anyway, all that to say, if you take the time to write 250+ pages about your life, chances are I'll find a place for it on my bookshelf. This, however, is going back to the library immediately. (You all said you wanted the truth; here goes...) I'm not even sure what to say...it's just kind of sad. And graphic. The author (who I will freely admit I'm slightly afraid of - from other posts about her book, it's clear that she is a bit like the bully on the playground who will turn all her friends against you if you say your favorite color isn't green) can't possibly be as unlikeable in real life as she is in this book. I want to like her - we've been through some of the same things. But midway through chapter two, I'm not sure I can take anymore. There are funny moments, which are much appreciated in the midst of so much anger and grim determination. But for the most part, it's a manifesto of how she's going to get what she wants out of life even if she has to wrestle it (him) to the ground and sit on it until it cries "uncle." Thank God I didn't read this in my own post-divorce "I wonder if anyone will ever love me again" days, or I might have just hidden in a dark closet for the next 20 years convinced that life wasn't worth living.

So there you have it, my first bad review. Last week I wrestled over my love/hate relationship with the Dixie Chicks, but this week's dilemma will be over with a quick trip to the return bin at my local library.

In happier news, my sister and her family are coming to visit tomorrow. This will be the first visit to the big city for Glamour Girl and Yes We Do Eat Fig Newtons For Breakfast Boy, and it should be quite an adventure. We may just drive them through Boston's Big Dig and tell them it's an amusement park ride for kids who like construction :)

Happy Weekend Everyone!

13 comments:

Swishy said...

I knew even before I clicked on the link which book you were talking about. I didn't care for it, either. I made it about a third of the way through, and then I just couldn't do anymore (which is rare--usually I'll plow on through).

red sun said...

good to note. i'm anxiously waiting to finish the 2 books i'm swapping between now to read Devil in the Details. hope i love it as much as you did.

good luck with the family this weekend!

b/sistersshoes said...

Your last few lines made me laugh :D

I hate hating books, because I always feel so guilty not finishing them, especially if I have purchased them...like the book police will put me in 'bad book prison' where I will be forced to read every bad written book before I can get out...

how obsurd...but unfortunately true

sending love,
xo darlene

Anonymous said...

Hey Trish-
Okay, I didn't read THAT book, but I can recommend my friend Lori Jakiela's- Miss New York Has Everything. It's a memoir told in a series of hilarious, Sedaris like essays. She and I used to fly together, so I especially like all the flight attendant stuff.
Enjoy your weekend, and just know there aint nothin' wrong with eatin' fig newtons for breakfast!
Alyson

Beck said...

Books written by mean spirited people don't tend to appeal to me, but who can tell who is mean-spirited and who is just irritable in the book jacket photo?
THanks for commenting on my site!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Trish Ryan said...

Ah, Anonymous - you're back! I think we've been over this before. I made over $900 last month, too. And yes, I had fun.

I guess I need to activate that "type the little letters in" think for comment posts, which is much less fun.

Karen said...

Wow. That naked guy has the "tick dude" beat - hands down! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Jenny Rough said...

I love memoirs too and just clicked on your books link on your website - I'll have to add a few more to my list.

Karitown said...

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up. I won't be reading that one. And thanks for the laugh regarding anonymous. Too damn funny.

Trish said...

I am amazed that anonymous came back...three times no less...after the scathing rebuttal you gave him last time LOL.

Thanks for the heads up on that book.